Elevate your senses with this cocktail that’s perfect for afternoon unwinding during summer days. It’s half tea – half margarita with plenty of fresh flavors that soothe on even the hottest day.
Ditch the Mix
Store-bought mixes are often high in sugar and questionable ingredients that don’t allow for much control over quality. Agave is often found in margaritas for its delicious flavor and ability to easily dissolve in cold liquids. Only 1 tablespoon is needed to sweeten this margarita, but feel free to add extra if you prefer a sweeter drink. For a low glycemic option, ⅛-¼ teaspoon of monk fruit sweetener can be used.
Blanca tequila adds signature agave flavor without the rich oak, vanilla or caramel notes that you’ll find in aged tequila. This allows the flavors of the white tea, basil and cucumber to shine.
White tea is picked early so it doesn’t have a chance to oxidize, leaving it rich in antioxidants. In fact, this floral tea is higher in catechins than green or black tea.
You won’t find any artificial flavors in this cocktail. Using seasonal ingredients like cucumber and basil makes this cocktail every bit as delicious as something you’d order at a fancy restaurant, but meant to enjoy in your own backyard. These ingredients are widely available at most supermarkets. If you can’t find Persian or baby cucumbers, an English cucumber will also work.
Gently muddling the cucumber and basil with tequila allows their flavors to release and infuse the tequila. The remaining ingredients are then shaken and strained over ice so only the flavor of the basil and cucumber are left in the cocktail and none of their fragments.
- 2 oz. blanco tequila
- 4 slices Persian cucumber
- 2 medium basil leaves
- 1 sachet Pique White Peony tea crystals
- 2 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- Coarse salt for glass
- 2-3 thin slices of Persian cucumber sliced lengthwise using a vegetable peeler
- Wheel of lime
- Pour salt onto a small plate. Run a lime wedge around the perimeter of a cocktail glass and dip into salt. Fill glass with ice.
- Add tequila, cucumber, basil leaves, and White Peony Tea Crystals to a pint glass and muddle the cucumber and basil just enough to break them up.
- Add 1 cup of ice, lime juice, and agave nectar to glass. Shake vigorously for 8-10 seconds. Strain over fresh ice in a glass and garnish with cucumber slices, fresh basil, and lime.
Recommended for this recipe:
Pique White Peony
Queen of teas. Rare and superior antioxidant content. Reliable immune support + energy.