Kick summertime into high gear with this boozy watermelon hibiscus aqua fresca that’s as hydrating as it is crowd-pleasing!
Nothing says summer like a fruity cocktail to sip on during a backyard cookout. Big batch cocktails are key to a summer spent outdoors and not in the kitchen. This hibiscus tea-infused cocktail ditches store-bought mixers, which are often full of sugar, artificial additives, and artificial flavors. In their place, we’ll be using fresh ripe watermelon and lime juice with a drizzle of agave nectar to sweeten. It’s the perfect way to beat the heat!
While drinking water helps to quench thirst, it doesn’t replenish the essential electrolytes that are lost when we sweat during physical activity. When electrolytes are off balance, you may experience symptoms like weakness, muscle cramping, and lightheadedness. Watermelon isn’t just a tasty seasonal favorite during warm months. This juicy fruit is high in water content and electrolytes; crucial on hot days when we tend to sweat more.
Not Just Another Pretty Flower
Hibiscus tea is known for its bright pink hue and subtly tart flavor. Bonus: this floral tea is actually high in vitamin-C. (1)
Curate Your Cocktail
Part of the beauty of playing bartender at home is designing drinks to meet your preferences. When it comes to the alcohol content of this Aqua Fresca, you can add as much or as little as you prefer when it comes to vodka strength (2-4 ounces) – or leave the vodka out completely for a refreshing mocktail any time of day!
Watermelon Hibiscus Aqua Fresca
- 2 packets Hibiscus Beauty Elixir
- 2 cups hot filtered water
- 6 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 2-4 oz vodka depending on strength preference
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 4 large mint leaves
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- Dissolve Hibiscus Tea in 2 cups hot water. Transfer to refrigerator for 1 hour to chill. Combine hibiscus tea, watermelon, vodka, lime juice, mint and agave nectar in a blender and blend on high speed until smooth, about 15 seconds.
- Strain mixture through a strainer and into a pitcher and stir in vodka. Store in refrigerator until serving. Serve over crushed ice.
Recommended for this recipe:
Pique Hibiscus Beauty Elixir
Like a rosy-cheeked glow that'll have you feeling flirty. Revitalizing and caffeine-free. Make your cells dance.