This antioxidant-rich green tea pesto is full of herb flavor and healthy fats to support brain and heart health.
Pesto is a condiment typically made using nuts, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, garlic, and basil. It’s blended together in a food processor until thoroughly mixed. Pesto’s garlicky, earthy flavor brings recipes to life and its versatility makes it a year-round condiment that should be in your fridge. Because walnuts take on a cheesy texture when ground, we left out the cheese for a dairy-free pesto.
Pesto is also chock full of antioxidants. This unique pesto recipe amps up the antioxidants with the addition of sencha green tea. The earthy flavor of the green tea blends effortlessly with the fresh basil. Green tea contains catechins, anti-inflammatory antioxidants that help support gut health. Using crystallized green tea makes it easy to blend into recipes without the risk of watering down.
Healthy Fats For Heart Health
Walnuts are a rich source of plant-based omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids help support a healthy cardiovascular system, including healthy cholesterol levels. Almonds, pistachios, hazelnuts and macadamia nuts are also great choices for supporting heart health.
Olive oil is a monounsaturated fat that further helps support a healthy cardiovascular system. This type of fat helps reduce inflammation throughout the body because of its rich concentration of antioxidants. Other heart-healthy fats to include in your diet include avocado oil, coconut oil, flaxseed oil, and grapeseed oil.
The Versatility of Pesto
Pesto isn’t just for pasta. Add it to any of these dishes to reap the benefits.
- Add to scrambled eggs.
- Drizzle on pizza.
- Add a spoonful to salad dressing for extra herb flavor.
- Toss with vegetables before roasting.
- Spread on your favorite sandwiches.
- Add a spoonful to soup for an herby kick of flavor.
- Spread on your favorite cooked fish for extra zest.
- 2 cups fresh basil loosely packed
- 1 cup raw walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 sachets Pique sencha green tea
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp cracked black pepper
- Combine Pique Sencha Green Tea with other ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth, scraping sides as necessary. About 1 minute. Store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator. Best used within one month.
Recommended for this recipe:
Pique Sencha Japanese Green Tea
A gold-medal winning, stand-out variety of the classic. Hydrating, delectable and satisfying.