This exotic drink is the perfect alternative to hot chocolate, warming from the inside out with aromatic spices and antioxidant-rich rooibos tea for a unique twist on the age-old beverage.
The sachlav is a middle eastern hot beverage that has a custard-like texture made using ground sahlab orchid bulbs. The drink was made popular in Turkey and Israel, and you’ll find different restaurants and regions adding their own unique spin on the drink. From coconut flakes to pistachios and even raisins, the custard texture of the Sachlav lends itself to an imaginative array of toppings. The Sachlav can be sipped or enjoyed with a spoon.
Because the orchid bulb is starchy, it thickens the milk it’s added to, similar to using cornstarch. A small amount of honey adds sweetness. Coconut sugar can also be used.
Sachlav is traditionally white in color, but once rooibos tea crystals are added, the drink becomes a creamy orange color indicative of the antioxidants rooibos contains.
Rooibos is a red tea with notes of vanilla, wood and even caramel, perfect for flavoring Sachlav. This variety of tea contains more antioxidants than green tea and is caffeine-free, perfect for enjoying any time of day.
When it comes to toppings, use any of your favorites or some from below. For this recipe we chose pistachios for their nutty flavor and bright green color. Cinnamon adds warm spice aroma and coconut gives a cozy tropical element with chewy texture.
Other delicious toppings to try…
- Chopped dates
- Dried chopped figs or apricots
- Chopped dark chocolate
- Chopped almonds
- Drizzle of caramel
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk divided
- 1 tbsp orchid powder sahlab
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 sachet Pique Rooibos Vitality Elixir
- Chopped pistachios
- Shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- Heat 1/2 cup of unsweetened milk over low heat in a saucepan. Whisk together remaining milk and dried orchid powder in a mug or measuring cup. Whisk orchid/milk mixture into hot milk in saucepan. Whisk in honey and tea crystals. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Pour into a mug and top with frothed milk, coconut flakes, cinnamon, and pistachios.
Recommended for this recipe:
Pique Rooibos Vitality Elixir
Powerhouse of unique plant nutrients. Earthy, caffeine-free and low in tannins. Ideal for sensitive tummies.