This creamy latte is full of nutty pistachio flavor made with no artificial flavors in sight!
Pistachio lattes are making their way into cafes and for good reason. This nutty latte brings its own unique flavor that rivals hazelnut and almond flavors. Unlike coffee shops, this recipe uses real pistachios to achieve nutty flavor (instead of pistachio-flavored syrups).
Pistachio milk is harder to come by than other nut-based milks. Luckily, making it at home is super easy and requires only minimal prep work. Raw shelled pistachios are soaked overnight in water to soften the nuts. While this step isn’t crucial to creating the milk, it will result in a creamier, richer flavor. The milk can be made a day ahead of time and reheated in a saucepan before enjoying.
Pistachios are lower in calories than other nuts and help support healthy cholesterol and blood sugar levels. The creamy texture of the latte helps to stave off hunger and provide a satiating feeling.
Instead of coffee, English breakfast tea crystals are dissolved in the steaming hot pistachio milk, adding robust flavor and a calm energy with l-theanine and caffeine. The moderate amount of caffeine makes this latte perfect for jumpstarting your day. English breakfast tea contains polyphenols called theaflavins that help support optimal gut health and digestion.
To finish off the latte, add a topping of frothed plant-based milk and freshly chopped pistachios to make this recipe rival any cafe. Unsweetened almond milk holds up sturdy to frothing much like traditional milk.
This latte can also be enjoyed over ice in the warmer months. Simply dissolve the tea crystals and honey in hot pistachio milk. Refrigerate until chilled (about 2 hours) and pour over ice.
- 1/2 cup shelled raw unsalted pistachios
- 1 1/2 cups filtered water
- 1 sachet Pique English breakfast tea
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1-2 tsp finely chopped pistachios for garnishing
- Cover pistachios with filtered water in a small jar or bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Drain water from pistachios.
- Combine pistachios and fresh filtered water in a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Use cheesecloth or a fine-mesh strainer to strain pistachio milk. Discard the pulp or use in other recipes.
- Heat milk in a saucepan over medium heat until steaming hot, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in honey and tea crystals. Pour into a mug and serve hot topped with frothed milk and chopped pistachios.
Recommended for this recipe:
Pique English Breakfast Black Tea
Cornerstone of an enlivened morning. Harmonious balance for your gut bugs.