Serve up this summery panzanella salad at your next barbecue complete with toasted bread and an herby green tea dressing full of antioxidants!
Summer salads are the perfect opportunity to reap the benefits of seasonal vegetables and herbs. Garden grown tomatoes, cucumber and basil are the backbone of a delicious salad and they get a fresh pop of flavor using green tea in the dressing.
Other great additions to this panzanella salad include:
- Bell pepper
- Green beans
Green tea has a grassy flavor that pairs perfectly with garlic and basil. Sencha green tea crystals require no steeping and blend into the dressing seamlessly using a blender. Sencha tea contains catechins, a type of antioxidant that helps support gut health.
Olive oil adds healthy fats along with walnuts. These filling fats help increase satiety and help curb cravings. They also support healthy brain function by counteracting inflammation.
Creamy goat cheese adds creamy texture throughout the salad with its mild flavor. Feta cheese, mozzarella or even shaved Parmesan can also be used.
The most delicious part of any panzanella salad is the crusty toasted bread. Ciabatta, sourdough, French bread or any rustic Italian bread with a crunchy top will work well.
Panzanella Salad with Herby Green Tea Dressing
For Green Tea Dressing
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove of garlic
- 5-6 medium fresh basil leaves
- 1 sachet Pique sencha green tea
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup cubed crusty bread
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup quartered Campari tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled chèvre goat cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts lightly toasted
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a small jar. Refrigerate until serving.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Add bread to a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Spread evenly on a small baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden and toasted. Cool bread at room temperature while assembling salad.
- Spread mixed greens in a serving bowl and top with tomatoes, cucumber, toasted bread, red onion and walnuts. Drizzle dressing on top and serve right away.
Recommended for this recipe:
Pique Sencha Japanese Green Tea
A gold-medal winning, stand-out variety of the classic. Hydrating, delectable and satisfying.