Ordinary eggs are turned into an herby breakfast delight with dairy-free green tea pesto! Enjoy the eggs alone or serve over toasted bread for a complete meal.
The trend of pesto-eggs is one we hope is here to stay! Rather than frying eggs in butter or oil, the oil in the pesto cooks eggs as they nestle into the basil, pistachio, and green tea flavors. Instead of using cheese, pistachio nuts create a cheesy texture and add a hefty amount of nutrients like vitamin B-6, iron, magnesium, and potassium. Regular consumption of pistachios helps support healthy cholesterol levels.
A few more reasons to snack on pistachios:
- Weight management: healthy fats, fiber, and protein in pistachios help curb hunger.
- Helps support healthy blood sugar levels.
- Anti-inflammatory properties in pistachios may help support the body’s inflammatory response.
Other nuts that make delicious pesto include walnuts, pecans, cashews, and pine nuts.
Green tea crystals blend effortlessly into the pesto and complement the fresh parsley and basil with its bright, grassy notes. Green tea helps support healthy digestion and curb hunger. The pesto sauce can be used in other dishes like pasta, on sandwiches, or on baked salmon. Store pesto in the refrigerator to keep it fresh.
Eggs are a great source of protein and help keep you full while supporting cell repair and growth. Look for eggs that are free-range with plenty of access to grass and sunlight.
When ready to serve, top warm toasted bread with pesto eggs. A whole-grain or sprouted bread will add a dose of filling fiber.
- 1 cup parsley loosely packed
- 1 cup fresh basil loosely packed
- 1/2 cup unsalted/shelled pistachios
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 sachets Pique sencha green tea
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 slices of bread toasted
- 2 eggs
- Chili flakes
- Combine ingredients for pesto in a food processor and blend until mostly smooth. Transfer to a small jar.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of pesto over medium heat in a medium skillet. Crack eggs over pesto and cook until egg whites turn white, 6-7 minutes. Serve over toasted bread topped with chili flakes.
Recommended for this recipe:
Pique Sencha Japanese Green Tea
A gold-medal winning, stand-out variety of the classic. Hydrating, delectable and satisfying.