These crunchy spiced pecans are a festive treat without a ton of sugar. Warm spices like nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger add aroma and flavor while English breakfast tea adds antioxidants and robust malt flavor.
If you’ve never made candied pecans before, this recipe is a great one to try. Before baking, pecans are coated in egg whites. This helps all the spices stick to the pecans and makes the end result perfectly crunchy.
While almonds or cashews can be used, pecans really shine in this recipe. Roasting brings out their nutty flavor and the spices nestle into the cracks of each pecan.
Pecans are rich in monounsaturated fat, providing the good-for-you fat that helps lower bad cholesterol. Their satiating fat content makes them the ideal snack. They’re also high in fiber, vitamin E, manganese and copper. Vitamin-E suppers healthy brain and heart function.
Spice Up the Holidays
With spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger, these candied pecans make a wonderful homemade gift or a great ingredient to add to a charcuterie board for parties.
- Coconut sugar has a molasses-like sweetness that is lower glycemic than table sugar. Similar to brown sugar it has a rich flavor that is irresistible.
- English breakfast tea contains polyphenols that support digestion and keep the gut microbiome happy. This black tea variety contains caffeine, so it’s great to enjoy whenever you need extra energy, minus the jitters.
- A pinch of high-quality sea salt makes this recipe great for curbing a salty-sweet craving.
English Breakfast Holiday Candied Pecans
- 4 cups raw unsalted pecans
- 2 medium egg whites
- 1 sachet Pique English Breakfast Tea
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300ºF and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Stir together coconut sugar, tea crystals and dry spices in a small bowl. Whisk eggs in a large mixing bowl. Stir in pecans to evenly coat.
- Pour sugar and spice mixture over pecans and stir well to coat mixture around pecans. Spread evenly on baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Stir pecans well and bake an additional 18-20 minutes, stirring again every 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven and stir pecans once more. Cool at room temperature until warm. Serve warm or store in an airtight container.
Recommended for this recipe:
Pique English Breakfast Black Tea
Cornerstone of an enlivened morning. Harmonious balance for your gut bugs.