This creamy London fog is the perfect stand in for coffee with a velvety texture and light sweetness that won’t give you the jitters.
A London fog is traditionally made using steamed milk, Earl grey tea and vanilla syrup. This recipe is a twist on the classic with a plant-based twist. To give the tea a creamy rich texture, raw cashews are blended with steaming hot water, vanilla extract and dried dates.
Cashews are great for turning into milk because they’re naturally skinless, making blending a breeze. They’re a good source of healthy fats and plant based protein, helping to stave off hunger between meals.
Once blended, the mixture is strained to separate the pulp from the liquid. Next, the tea crystals are dissolved in the cashew milk and topped off with a frothy almond (or cashew) milk along with a sprinkle of lavender.
Dates are naturally sticky sweet and great for adding sweetness to any hot or cold blended beverage without the need for sugar. They have a caramel-like sweetness that adds richness to this beverage. To get the dates to blend effortlessly they are first soaked in hot water to soften. If you are in a pinch, a tablespoon of pure maple syrup or honey can be used instead.
Earl grey tea adds bergamot citrus aroma that this fragrant tea is known for. The tea crystals in this variety are made from black tea. The caffeine provides a calm, steady energy ideal for morning or afternoon sipping. Black tea contains polyphenols and prebiotics to help support digestive health.
Date and Cashew London Fog
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 pitted dried dates
- 1 1/2 cups steaming hot filtered water
- 1 sachet Pique Earl Grey Tea
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond or cashew milk
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp dried lavender buds
- Place dates in a small bowl and cover with ½ cup of hot water. Allow dates to soften 5 minutes.
- In the meantime heat almond milk in a small saucepan until steaming. Use a milk frother or immersion blender to froth milk.
- Drain dates and add to a blender with cashews, vanilla extract and 1½ cups of steaming hot water. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Strain cashew mixture through a strainer into a mug. Stir in Earl grey tea crystals. Top with frothed almond milk and lavender buds. Sip hot.
Recommended for this recipe:
Pique Earl Grey Black Tea
A swift, steady infusion of energy. Citrus bergamot to delight your senses and cells.