Get your boba tea fix with good-for-you ingredients in this creamy chilled tea drink. Coconut sugar and unsweetened coconut milk keep this drink dairy and processed sugar free!
Traditional Boba tea or bubble tea is a combination of brown sugar dissolved with black tea, whole milk or half and half and signature black tapioca pearls. The tapioca pearls add a satisfyingly chewy texture to the drink and give it a childlike appeal. In order to enjoy the pearls in every sip, be sure to serve with a wide straw.
English breakfast tea crystals dissolve in hot water effortlessly so there is no steeping required. The tea and coconut sugar mixture can be made ahead of time and chilled in the refrigerator until assembling the Boba tea.
Boba tapioca pearls can be purchased online or in Asian markets. They’re easy to make and similar to cooking pasta. Just add pearls to boiling water and cook until they float to the top. Look for brands of quick-cooking pearls, some brands have very lengthy cooking times.
Coconut milk is a great alternative to dairy milk, but feel free to use your favorite plant-based milk. Oat, hemp, and almond milk are all great choices. We don’t recommend canned coconut milk because it has a high fat content that hardens in cold beverages. So the carton variety is the way to go.
- 1/4 cup boba tapioca pearls
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 sachet Pique English Breakfast tea
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add tapioca pearls and stir. Turn heat off and cover. Cook pearls for 5-7 minutes, until they float to the top and are tender. Drain pearls and run under cold water. Transfer to a glass.
- Stir together 1/2 cup of hot water, tea crystals, and coconut sugar. Add a couple of ice cubes to chill the tea.
- Add ice to glass with boba pearls and pour in tea/coconut sugar mixture. Top with coconut milk and stir to combine. Enjoy!
Recommended for this recipe:
Pique English Breakfast Tea
Cornerstone of an enlivened morning. Harmonious balance for your gut bugs. Get regular, get happy.