This fall-inspired macchiato is a twist on the classic coffee-based beverage. Real apple, aromatic spices and English breakfast tea-infused syrup create a sweet macchiato that will warm from the inside out.
The macchiato drink is traditionally made using espresso, steamed milk and foam, very similar to a latte. Instead of using coffee, this recipe adds bold English breakfast tea crystals to a light syrup made from coconut sugar, sliced apples and spices.
The ingredients are simmered, allowing the apple to break down and infuse its signature flavor into the liquid. This is very similar to the way you would make apple cider. Once the apple slices are softened, the syrup is strained to remove the apples and star anise. In order to preserve the antioxidants in the tea, the crystals are stirred in last.
English breakfast tea has a bold robust flavor. This black tea variety is a blend of Ceylon and Assam tea leaves. Bold earthy notes with a hint of malt make this tea a terrific stand in for coffee, creating a focused energy without the jittery feeling.
Star anise leaves a sweet licorice aroma behind that is comforting in the colder months. Ginger creates a warming spiciness and soothes. Ginger is also great for digestion.
A two-ingredient caramel is drizzled on top of the macchiato for a coffee shop look without the processed ingredients. Coconut sugar sweetens the caramel and provides a rich flavor similar to molasses or brown sugar. Coconut cream makes the caramel sauce rich and thick without any dairy. If you can’t find unsweetened coconut cream in stores, look for canned coconut milk and refrigerate it for a few hours then scrape the thick coconut cream portion off the top. While coconut caramel is simmering, be sure to regularly stir from the bottom, incorporating the darker bits as you stir.
When you are ready to enjoy your macchiato, add ¼ cup of the apple syrup to the bottom of a large mug. Pour in steamed almond milk and top with a few spoonfuls of frothed almond milk. Drizzle with coconut caramel. Sip away!
For Apple Syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 honey crisp apple thinly sliced
- 1 whole star anise
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 sachet Pique English Breakfast Tea crystals
For Coconut Caramel
- 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut cream
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 ½ cup unsweetened almond milk per serving
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk for frothing (per serving)
- To make apple English breakfast syrup: combine sliced apple, coconut sugar, star anise, ginger and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, until apple slices are very soft. Strain mixture into a measuring cup or mug and stir in tea crystals. Set aside.
- To make coconut caramel: combine coconut cream and coconut sugar over medium heat in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce turns a deep golden brown and sticks to the back of a spoon about 20 minutes, stirring regularly. Transfer to a small jar and cool for 20 minutes to thicken further.
- Assemble macchiato: combine ¼ cup of apple syrup in the bottom of a large mug. Top with steamed almond milk. Finish with frothed milk and a drizzle of coconut caramel.
Recommended for this recipe:
Pique English Breakfast Black Tea
Cornerstone of an enlivened morning. Harmonious balance for your gut bugs.