These Meyer lemon tea cookies pair perfectly with your favorite hot tea. They are flavored with floral white tea, real lemon juice and poppyseeds for a treat that is guilt-free.
For a treat that everyone can enjoy, a combination of arrowroot and almond flour is used. Both of these flours are free of gluten and Paleo-friendly. Together they create a cookie that is both crisp and slightly chewy. Tigernut flour can be used in place of almond flour for those with nut sensitivities.
White Tea Wonder
This tea cookie is infused with white peony tea for a subtle floral aroma and earthy tea flavor that complements the lemon-poppy seed flavor. This white tea is rich in polyphenols and phytonutrients that help support a healthy immune system function. Unlike coffee, this tea provides a gentle caffeine boost great for an afternoon pick me up without the jitters.
Both Meyer lemon juice and zest are used to create a tangy lemon cookie. Meyer lemons have more sweetness than traditional lemons with less acidity for a more well-rounded flavor. Some say this lemon also has floral notes, making it an ideal match for this floral tea cookie. If you can’t find Meyer lemons, classic lemons are perfectly acceptable.
Ghee and coconut sugar create a creamy, buttery texture with a caramelized sweetness. Ghee is a terrific alternative to butter for anyone with lactose sensitivities that still want the rich flavor that butter adds. To make powdered coconut sugar: blend coconut sugar in a blender or food processor until finely ground. This makes the coconut sugar and ghee blend easier for less grittiness and a smooth dough.
- 1 ½ cups arrowroot flour
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 sachets Pique White Peony Tea Crystals
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup ghee at room temperature
- 1/4 cup powdered coconut sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp Meyer lemon zest
- 2 tbsp Meyer lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Stir together arrowroot flour, almond flour, poppyseeds, Pique White Peony Tea Crystals and sea salt in a small mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer on medium speed, cream together ghee and powdered coconut sugar until thoroughly combined and the color is a creamy beige. Beat in vanilla extract, egg, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Continue to mix until just combined. Gradually beat in dry ingredients until a dough forms, about 15 seconds. Dough should be crumbly and moist. Transfer bowl to the freezer for 15 minutes to chill and firm dough.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a medium baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll dough out between 2 sheets of parchment paper on countertop to about 1/4 inch thick. Use a 2-inch round cookie cutter to cut out 12-13 cookies and place onto baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 10 minutes before serving. Store cookies in an airtight container in a dry spot.