Need an energizing keto drink to start your day that isn’t just coffee with butter?
We’ve got you.
If coffee gives you the jitters, upsets your stomach, or you simply want to lay off caffeine for a while, finding a good substitute that perks you up the same way can be a challenge.
That’s why we set out to create a comforting, tasty and energizing keto coffee substitution that’s just as easy to make in the morning.
The result? This keto earl grey tea latte.
Even though coffee can get rid of brain fog and boost your energy for a while, it can also disrupt your sleep if you drink it in the afternoon — caffeine lingers in your body for 5 to 7 hours — and trigger ugly withdrawal symptoms if you go a day without it, like headaches, fatigue, bad mood, and trouble concentrating.
On top of this, drinking coffee is not smooth sailing for everyone. People with a higher sensitivity to caffeine can experience anxiety, stress, accelerated heart rate, and jitters much more strongly than others after a cup of coffee.
So, if you want to wake up to a tasty keto drink that helps you power through the day but doesn’t cause a mild dependence or anxiety, try this keto earl grey tea latte instead.
Here’s why it’s so good for you:
- Earl Grey Tea – Earl Grey tea is a classic made with black tea and bergamot oil. Black tea does contain caffeine, but in lower amounts than coffee (just 14 mg per 6 oz vs coffee’s 71 mg per 6 oz), so it will give you sustained energy without the anxiety. Plus, it has so many health benefits, including these:
- Macadamia nut milk – Macadamia is one of the fattiest nuts — with 102 g of fat per cup — so it helps you stay in ketosis. In addition, it can help lower “bad” cholesterol (LDL) (source)
- Healthy fats: Either grass-fed ghee butter or coconut oil will make this latte extra creamy. Grass-fed ghee doesn’t contain milk solids, which is helpful for lactose intolerant people, and of course, it comes from a cow that had a healthy diet. Coconut oil is rich in medium-chain and long-chain fatty acids that fuel your brain.
- Cocoa powder – Cacao is rich in antioxidants and polyphenols. It also contains small amounts of caffeine.
- Vanilla extract – Adds a touch of deliciousness.
This keto drink is similar to a traditional London Fog, but with all the healthy fats that keep you in ketosis!
- 1 sachet Pique Earl Grey Tea Crystals
- 8 oz water
- ¼ cup macadamia or other nut milk
- ½ tsp grassfed ghee butter or coconut butter/oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cocoa powder
Mix 8oz Pique Earl Grey with hot (not boiling) water
Add ½ tsp of vanilla extract and ½ cocoa powder to Earl Grey
Combine ½ tsp ghee butter with ¼ cup macadamia nut milk and froth with a frother or blending until smooth
Add to Earl Grey, mix well and enjoy!