This berry flavored French toast will be a hit on any spring table. Hibiscus tea blends into the custard before soaking in bread for a hint of tart fruity flavor in every bite!
This fruity French toast is gluten-free for a breakfast everyone can enjoy. We went with a flaxseed variety for a heartier texture. A thick-sliced bread or one made with whole grains or seeds will minimize sogginess. The bread is also only soaked long enough to absorb the custard so it doesn’t get mushy.
Eggs not only create a thick custard for soaking the bread in but also add protein, for a breakfast that satisfies. Look for pasture-raised eggs for the best quality.
Hibiscus tea is known for its vibrant pink color and tart flavor. This tea is great in recipes from cookies to creme brûlée or smoothies. It’s especially delicious in the warmer months when you’re looking for a refreshing tea to sip on over ice. In this recipe, the tea is whisked into eggs and coconut milk before being poured over the bread. Because this tea is in crystal form. It easily blends and bakes into the French toast.
Hibiscus tea isn’t just tasty, it’s also full of antioxidants that help support a healthy immune system. Hibiscus is naturally high in vitamin-C and free of caffeine, for the perfect thirst-quenching tea any time of day.
Once the French toast is baked it can be drizzled with maple syrup and/or a few pats of butter. Finish with some in-season berries for a pop of color and fresh flavor. For the best texture, make this french toast right before you are ready to serve it.
For French Toast Bake
- 1 loaf gluten-free bread
- 1/2 cup full-fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 large pasture-raised eggs
- 2 sachets Pique Hibiscus Beauty Elixir Tea Crystals
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp melted unsalted butter + extra for greasing
- 1 cup mixed berries for topping raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries
- Maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and lightly grease a 9x11 baking pan. Slice bread in half on a diagonal to create triangles and place in baking pan. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut milk, hibiscus tea, vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Pour evenly over the bread and soak for 10 minutes. Drizzle melted butter over bread and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and top with berries and optional maple syrup and butter. Slice and serve warm.
Recommended for this recipe:
Pique Hibiscus Beauty Elixir
Like a rosy-cheeked glow that'll have you feeling flirty. Revitalizing and caffeine-free. Make your cells dance.