Tea isn’t just a drink! This green tea soup broth infuses the antioxidant goodness of green tea into chicken broth for a comforting slurp-worthy broth with immune-boosting benefits!
This simple broth puts an Asian-inspired twist on traditional chicken soup with ginger paste and garlic simmered in the stock. Both of these herbs add vitalizing antioxidants. The broth is ready to enjoy in just 20 minutes and can be sipped for a soothing effect that calms and warms the body; perfect for chilly days. Make a large batch to have on hand for busy days or when the sniffles strike! (1)
With grassy notes and a boost of antioxidants, sencha green tea is the perfect addition to soup broth, complementing the other herb flavors while bringing its own set of potent health benefits. Green tea has a moderate amount of caffeine that won’t give you the jitters. Green tea has a slight bitterness to it, so start out with 1 packet and increase depending on your preferences.
Tip: vegetable stock can be used instead of chicken stock. Turn this savory broth into a full-blown meal by:
- Loading up on the veggies. Other fresh vegetables like bell peppers, broccoli or shredded carrots can be added to the steaming broth after ladling into bowls. Finish with a squeeze of lime juice for a hint of tang.
- Adding noodles. Ramen noodles, soba or lo mein can be added to give the soup staying power. Cook noodles ahead of time and add to steaming broth.
- Adding green herbs. Fresh green herbs like cilantro, Thai basil, and chopped green onion bring a pop of freshness.
- Amp up the protein. Finish the soup with cooked shredded chicken, sliced steak, soft boiled egg or tofu.
- 4 cups organic chicken stock
- 2 packets sencha green tea
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- Optional toppings- ramen noodles, chopped green onion, sliced peppers, cilantro, lime wedges
Bring chicken stock, ginger and garlic to a boil over medium heat, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in green tea until dissolved. Ladle into bowls and top with desired toppings. Enjoy hot.