If you want to relax after a stressful day at work or host a brunch with your friends, these quick, healthy and citrusy cocktails hit the spot.
You don’t have to feel guilty about day drinking or chilling on the couch after a long day with a cocktail because this one is jam-packed with antioxidants and digestion-enhancing properties.
When you add ginger, orange, lime, licorice root, and mint to the mix, you boost the health benefits and yumminess of your drink.
And don’t worry, with only 4 ingredients you can whip these up in less than 10 minutes.
Here’s why these guilt-free cocktails are great for your health:
This cocktail is based on rum, spiked with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory ingredients:
- Pique Ginger Digestion Elixir: We’re using the Ginger Citrus blend, which contains:
- Ginger: Ginger is a well-known digestion enhancer that has been used in Chinese medicine for hundreds of years. It contains special compounds called gingerols, which have impressive digestive and antioxidant effects.[*] Early studies show ginger may prevent alcohol-induced liver damage, so it’s a good addition to your alcoholic drinks.[*]
- Orange peel: Citrus peels are rich in compounds called PMFs (polymethoxylated flavones), which have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. PMFs also help preserve the intestinal barrier function, which may be disturbed by ethanol.[*][*][*]
- Lemon peel: Lemon peel is also packed with protective PMFs. These compounds are highly bioavailable (easily absorbed by your cells) so their effects aren’t lost in digestion. [*]
- Mint: Mint can protect your neuronal cells against oxidative damage.[*] Excessive alcohol can kill neuronal cells, so mint is a powerful ally when you’re drinking.
- Licorice root: Licorice is a common Chinese medicine herb with over 300 flavonoids, which have antiviral, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory activities. It also has liver-protective properties.[*]
- Blood oranges: Blood orange juice is rich in antioxidants like anthocyanins, vitamin C, and protective acids. One study found that women who drank blood orange juice increased their vitamin C consumption and had a higher DNA resistance to oxidative stress.[*]
- Spiced Rum: The spiced version adds an extra fun layer of flavor to your cocktail.
- Mint leaves: More fresh mint means more protection for your neurons!
- Fresh lime juice: Lime juice not only adds a zing to your drink, it also helps keep blood pressure low.[*]
Essentially, all the ingredients in this recipe work together to protect your cells — especially your liver, digestive tract, and neurons — while you drink. Sweet.
Loaded with antioxidants and flavor, this simple ginger citrus cocktail is easy to whip up in a flash on busy mornings or nights.
- 16 oz water
- 2 sachets Pique Ginger Digestion Elixir
- 2 blood oranges (juiced)
- 3 oz spiced rum of choice
- mint leaves
- fresh lime juice
Mix 2 sachets of Pique Ginger Digestion Elixir into 12 oz water in a large glass or tumbler. Stir well.
Juice oranges into a glass, add rum and shake or stir well.
Pour over ice and garnish with mint leaves and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.