For an inspired cocktail with sweet and tangy flavor, this Whiskey sour is a sure crowd pleaser with robust depth from fermented black tea!
A Cocktail to Fall For
Whiskey has a range of notes from smoky to spiced with hints of caramel and vanilla. The flavor profile of this liquor lends itself to pairings with fruit and tea for a cocktail that keeps the taste buds guessing.
Fermented tea adds a woody, robust flavor from tea leaves that contain microbes. These microbes act like fertilizer for the gut, adding in beneficial bacteria to help restore balance. A balanced gut means optimal digestion and less side effects from improper digestion or an off-balance gut microbiome.
This fermented tea is ideal for anyone who doesn’t enjoy the strong vinegar-like flavor of kombucha or other fermented drinks.
No need for store bought syrup to sweeten this cocktail. Real fig preserves give a nod to the autumn fruit and add rich jammy sweetness to the cocktail that balances the lemon juice and tea. Fig preserves are available in the jam aisle of most grocery stores.
A splash of lemon juice adds tangy flavor and a light frothy top to the cocktail after shaking. A sprig of fresh thyme adds a light herby aroma while sipping. Rosemary can also be used in a pinch.
- 1/2 cup steaming hot water
- 1 sachet Pique Fermented Pu’er Black Tea
- 1 tbsp fig preserves
- 1 1/2 ounces whisky or bourbon
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 sprigs fresh thyme for garnishing
- Fresh sliced fig for garnishing
- Combine hot water, tea crystals and fig preserves in a glass. Stir well to mix tea and preserves. Cool mixture to room temperature.
- Add tea mixture, lemon juice and whisky over ice in a cocktail shaker. Secure lid and shake vigorously for 5 seconds. Strain over fresh ice into a cocktail glass and top with a fig slice and sprigs of thyme. Enjoy!
Recommended for this recipe:
Pique Pu’er Black Tea
Unrivaled polyphenol concentration. Fermented with probiotics. The ultimate supertea for gut health and digestion support.