Rice steps in for oats in this rich and filling porridge that comforts and warms on a chilly morning!
Rice For Breakfast
For a gluten-free breakfast porridge, rice creates a hearty, chewy texture that is easy on the digestive system. Basmati, jasmine or white long grain rice will all work. For a whole-grain porridge, opt for brown rice. The rice cooks in unsweetened coconut milk until tender, adding a creamy texture to the porridge. Almond milk can also be used.
This tea-infused porridge adds the robust, earthy notes of English breakfast black tea with hints of malt. These tea notes enhance the mellow flavor of white rice for a comforting and aromatic porridge that’s ideal for cold winter days. Black tea helps support digestion and adds caffeine for steady energy.
Pistachios are a rich source of B-vitamins, support a healthy gut, support the immune system and may help reduce cholesterol. They also add a crunchy texture to this chewy porridge. Other great nuts to add include pecans, walnuts or almonds.
Dates for Natural Sweetness
Dried dates have a rich, caramel-like flavor and chewy texture that sweetens the porridge as they simmer. Dates are a great natural sweetener that can be blended into smoothies, pancakes and even brownie batter instead of traditional sugar. Look for dates that are pitted for easy chopping.
Dried Goji berries add antioxidants and chewy texture. Carotenoids present in goji berries may support healthy vision while high phytochemical content helps protect cells from free radical damage. Fresh goji berries are tart and bitter, dried goji berries, however, are sweet and taste similar to dried cherries or cranberries. Be sure to use dried Goji berries without added sugar.
Add dried goji berries to sweet and savory recipes like pancakes, parfaits, and rice pilaf.
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened coconut milk + 1/3 cup for serving
- 1 tbsp grass-fed unsalted butter
- 2-3 pitted dried dates chopped
- 1 tbsp dried goji berries
- 2 tbsp chopped pistachios
- 1 sachet Pique English Breakfast tea
- Combine rice and coconut milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Add chopped dates and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in Pique English Breakfast Tea and butter until dissolved. Pour the porridge into a bowl and top with goji berries, pistachios, and additional coconut milk. Enjoy warm.
Recommended for this recipe:
Pique English Breakfast Black Tea
Cornerstone of an enlivened morning. Harmonious balance for your gut bugs.