Smooth, creamy and totally delicious! This amazing Spirulina Mint Green Tea Latte will certainly satisfy those cravings next time you’re detoxing for weight loss. And it’s not just your taste buds that will thank you for making the effort. This latte is packed full of health-giving goodies to put the spring back in your step and to help your body to detox safely.
Best of all this awesome drink is really easy to make; it’s just a case of whizzing all the yummy ingredients together in the blender and hey-presto! You’ve got the tastiest detox booster you’ve had in a long while.
So why is this lovely latte such a great source of healthy nutrition? Will it really help with weight loss? Let’s take a look.
What is it?
OK so if we start by explaining that spirulina is actually a type of blue-green algae you might begin to wonder if it’s really the thing for you. Don’t worry- this stuff has a proven track record. The Aztecs made cakes from it. Spirulina has been cultivated around Lake Chad since the 9th century and today the Hawaiian variety is sought after around the world for its awesome concentration of super-powerful nutrients.
Is it really a superfood?
Oh boy yes! Spirulina is known to carry some pretty incredible health benefits. It’s consumed either as a supplement or in its raw, powder form. Here are five of spirulina’s amazing health benefits.
1. Spirulina is incredibly rich in vitamins and nutrients. Even a tiny amount will give you plenty of vitamins A, C, E, B vitamins, as well as a good dose of minerals including iron, magnesium, and calcium . It also has an amazing 60% protein content, far higher than most plants . This stuff is healthy nutrition in a jar!
2. Indigenous peoples around the world have been enjoying spirulina for centuries and have no doubts about its health benefits. Most of the scientific studies have been performed on mice and other rodents. One of these found that spirulina can control blood glucose levels and might help manage the effects of diabetes . Scientific interest in this awesome algae is understandably growing, and the benefits are now being tested on humans. It seems that the protection against diabetes may well apply to humans as well , offering hope to the millions at risk from this debilitating condition
3. Spirulina contains a substance known as c-phycocyanin which has potent anti-inflammatory properties . So this stuff just might give a much-needed boost to your immune system as well as reducing your risk of chronic illness. Nice!
4. Spirulina is used by many as an exercise supplement. Not only can it improve athletic performance, but it can also increase fat loss and build up muscle during exercise . Muscle mass plays an important role in reducing the amount of fat that you carry around. Most of the calories that you burn are actually burnt at times when you are inactive. How many calories you burn depends on your muscle mass. So if you want to make weight loss easy then the trick is to focus on building muscle. This powder may just help with that.
5. Spirulina has been found to prevent the build-up of plaque on artery walls, even when a high-cholesterol diet is followed. This could have major implications for preventing cardiovascular disease .
Mint Green Tea for Weight Loss
We’ve used our flavorsome Mint Green Tea as the base for this latte. Delicate green tea delivers sustained energy so will help you resist unhealthy food choices as you go through the day. With its immunity-boosting antioxidants  this one’s the perfect choice whilst you’re on a detox. The back-notes of cleansing peppermint in this tea will help relax your gut as well as bringing a small kick of uplifting minty flavor to your latte.
Macadamia Nut Milk
Macadamia nut milk gives this awesome latte its smooth creamy texture without the downside of dairy. But is it doing you good? Aren’t macadamias high in fat? Well yes they are but it is the right kind of fat-monounsaturated, the type you get in olive oil. And as the milk is made by soaking nuts in water, macadamia milk brings you the benefits of the healthy fatty acids with far fewer calories than you’d get from eating the whole nut. Even better, macadamias are one of the few known sources of palmitoleic acid, a type of omega 7 which has been shown   to lower cholesterol. So macadamia nut milk really is a win-win dairy substitute.
A Little Scoop of Cacao Butter
The final ingredient in this tasty beverage is a tiny blob of raw cacao butter. Is this really necessary? The answer is a big yes. Both for its rich dark chocolate taste and because it will help you stick to your weight loss program. Cacao butter is extracted from raw cocoa beans. This is the stuff that gives chocolate its silky smoothness. It is packed full of health-giving  polyphenol and flavonoid antioxidants. Use the raw kind as this will retain more of the health-giving properties than the more processed butter.
Weight loss made easy
Does it all sound too good to be true? Just how will this indulgent, creamy latte help you detox and lose weight? The secret is in the rich nutritious contents. These will satisfy your body’s cravings and provide sustained energy throughout the day, making you so much less likely to reach for those unhealthy snacks. When you break a diet it’s usually because you’re feeling deprived. Feelings of deprivation won’t get a look in if you have this delicious latte to turn to. Add to that the muscle-building properties of spirulina and you know that you’ll be helping your body burn up those calories even while you’re resting.
This amazing Mint Green Tea Latte is so delicious, it just might become your choice mid-morning pick-me-up whether you’re detoxing for weight loss or not!
- 1 satchet Pique Mint Green Tea Crystals
- 1/4 tsp spirulina powder
- 4 oz water
- 4 oz macadamia nut milk
- ½ tsp raw cacao butter
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.