In this homemade chai latte, Chaga mushrooms step in for traditional tea leaves for a roasty flavor blended with warm spices and creamy coconut milk.
Chaga mushrooms add an earthy, woodsy flavor to drinks that is the perfect alternative to coffee without caffeine, providing calm energy. The chaga mushroom belongs to a group known as Adaptogens. Adaptogens are roots, mushrooms, and herbs that may help protect the body from environmental, mental or emotional stress. These mushrooms are high in antioxidants and support immune function. Chaga mushroom tea can be added to recipes for hot chocolate, smoothies, and even chia pudding to reap the benefits.
Spiced to Perfection
To create the aromatic flavor chai tea is known for, whole clove, cinnamon and star anise are simmered along with nutmeg in water. Cinnamon and nutmeg add warm, spiced notes to a latte while star anise adds a hint of licorice. The infusion is strained and combined with honey, Chaga Elixir, and coconut milk for a comforting latte. Star anise can be purchased online or found in the spice aisle of most supermarkets.
The dairy-free creamy texture of coconut milk froths like traditional milk and due to its high-fat content can help you feel satiated. If you can’t find canned coconut cream, scoop the thick coconut cream portion from a can of full-fat coconut milk. An immersion blender does the trick to froth just like a fancy coffee machine or the latte can be blended in a blender on high speed to create a frothy texture.
- This latte can also be chilled and enjoyed over ice.
- Pure maple syrup or coconut sugar can be used instead of honey to sweeten.
- Add ⅛ teaspoon of cardamom, ground ginger or allspice for even more chai flavor.
- For the best frothy texture, enjoy this latte right away.
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups full fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 sachets Pique Chaga Elixir
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 2 small cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 star anise
- 1 dried clove
- Heat water over medium-low heat in a medium saucepan. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, star anise, and clove. Bring to a low simmer and simmer 10 minutes. Strain out herbs through a fine-mesh strainer reserving liquid.
- Return liquid to the stove and add coconut milk and Chaga tea. Heat for 3 minutes or until steaming. Stir in honey. Turn heat off. Use an immersion blender to froth tea for 10-15 seconds. Divide between two mugs. Enjoy hot.
Chaga Energy Elixir
Banishes fatigue. Awakens the senses. Refreshes the mind, body and soul.